Farewell, Jan Van Beveren 1948-2011

It is with indescribable sadness that I write of the passing of Jan Van Beveren.

My idol, my hero, and my friend in soccer.

I worshipped this man as a teenager. And, thanks to Dave Michaels, it was my honor to interview him, and to speak with him, and to email with him.

My shock today when I reached out to call him--for another interview--and found out he had passed away almost a year ago.

I regret all the times I didn't pick up the phone or jot down an email.

This was an incredible person. I have one interview with him stowed away somewhere. I'll find it one day, and share it with the world. He would talk about soccer forever. I'm so happy I got to tell him just how much he made a difference in my life. How he added to the joys the beautiful game gives me every single day.

We will miss him forever. And we will see him soon.

No comments

© 2010-2023 Tom Gulley. Powered by Blogger.